Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Few Good Books

A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting.
Henry David Thoreau

Today I need a good book.  Everyone was talking about that sex book, Fifty Shades of Grey, but I don't know if I want to read it.  Seems to me I should be reading either a play, biography of someone I want to write a play about or something positive because Lord knows there's too much negativity out there, and in "here" (my mind) lately. 

I know there's that Goodreads now, which I did sign up for, but it reminds me of online dating, all those questions to answer and honestly, I don't want to spend even more time online.  

But I do have some Go-to books I use over and over again.  Plus one that I'm reading now which does inspire me.

A book I bought up in New Paltz after hiking in the mountains is useful for a quick idea or two on how to meditate when you don't feel like it, or you only have "three minutes."
http://www.amazon.com/The-Three-Minute-Meditator-David-Harp/dp/1567312993

Sri Swami Satchidananda's book To Know Yourself is one of my staples that I've read and reread when I need a little boost as I sit for meditation.  I open it to any random page and use it as insight for the day.
 
Rev. Jaganath, Swami Satchidananda's disciple and head of the Yoga Life Society, just finished his really clear explanation of how to meditate and go deeper in meditation.  Once I finish reading it, I know it will become another daily use book.

http://www.yogalifesociety.com/Awaken.html

And lastly my mother gave me One Can Make a Difference.  Little essays from people who started a movement, changed lives, helped animals, etc.  The author is Ingrid E. Newkirk, not a household name but she started P.E.T.A. by herself.  It has essays from The Dalai Lama, Willie Nelson, Briditte Bardot (who left acting and started her own animal rescue, didn't know that) and so many more.  Easy read, and fun.  

I'll leave you with this short read...

"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself."
- Galileo  (It's on the first page of the introduction of One Can Make a Difference.

Any other inspirational books I should check out this summer to keep me motivated to change the world?  Let me know.

Enjoy your day/night--
Yoga Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was born through the inspiration and teachings of Rev. Jaganath Carrera and The Yoga Life Society. www.yogalifesociety.com